Being in Economic Tailspin is Good

I had a dream in which my mom and I were walking through the neighborhood where I was born. It was virtually destroyed by Katrina. I was pushing a cart of some sort and we were noticing all these things that both had and had not changed since I was there during Hurricane Betsy (1965). My favorite was tell tale signs of old businesses- faded hanging signs and placards. I noticed businesses were still there and doing okay. I saw many things I never noticed before. This week I am driving back to that neighborhood to look at it again in greater detail.

Many of us have been knocked backwards, or are greatly fearful of having to take a step backwards. But why? We have already been in that spot, and we gained the experience to move ahead. Remember how broke you were when you first got married? How small your living space was? How simple your life was? We all dreamed, in essence, of being where we are (or further).

So life knocks you on your arse, maybe back to square one. Don't be afraid! First, you have been here before and you got out once already. Second, you life will be simplified for a while- is that really a bad thing? Third, you have with you the main thing you wanted then- your family. You are together, happy and healthy. Does it really matter where you are?

Last, and most important, you are in a simpler place. The reason you ascended from it was because you had the skills but lacked the experience. Now you have both, and you are amongst others who likely will never possess those very things needed to advance. And you have already honed yours to a sharp point, and know the route back up the mountain!

So enjoy simplifying. Enjoy the smaller home, the used car and (gulp) the not so state of the art computer. Simpler means less is more (more or less, lol). Backwards means a chance to get in touch with where you were before you got here, except without the fear of the unknown. And don't forget, its only a visit to simpler times. With your skills, knowledge AND experience, you will hike up the hill again in no time. Enjoy the people you meet. Enjoy watching how your children learn and react. Enjoy teaching them where you came from, then show them the path back up the mountain that you strained, bled and sweat so hard to find. This, and other great opportunities will abound. Why? Because you were too young and inexperienced to see them the first time.

As I walked down the street toward the home of my birth, I asked my mom why we were taking this walk, noticing all these little things I never noticed.

"If you have to go backward, honey, at least enjoy the view."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Future of the Saints

Slippery Slope in the Bathroom

A Legal Definition of Marriage?